Sunday at home, with potato salad, green bean salad, and fried green tomatoes.

This past Sunday, I cooked.

It was the kind of cooking I haven't done in what feels like a long time, on the kind of Sunday-at-home that I've been missing during weekends away. I slept in. I woke up and puttered around for an hour or two. I washed dishes, I dirtied dishes, I washed them again and dirtied them again. I made simple foods, the kinds that are mixed directly in Tupperware containers and left to meld in their own flavors for a few hours, during which I would wander to the fridge several times from my spot on the couch to pick and taste. I left a fork out on the table for this very purpose.

potato salad

It's this kind of cooking that I like the best. No complicated recipes or long lists of ingredients. No rush, no schedules or time frames, no real purpose, really.

I made potato salad, not because I needed a dish to bring to a picnic, but simply because I hadn't had any yet this summer and I had this recipe and it was about time.

green bean salad

I made green bean salad because of this photo and this olive oil and because the farmers market was selling green and yellow beans for $1.50 a pound and oh my do I love green beans.

green tomatoes
fried green tomatoes

I made fried green tomatoes, just to try something new. I ate a few slices with scrambled eggs for breakfast, then left the rest on the table to pick at while I messed around with the salads.

I wanted to make up for all the weekends away. Summer is funny like that. I spend all winter and spring planning to get out and away, to festivals and lake houses and graduation parties, and once I'm knee-deep in warm weather and road trips, I start to miss the lazy weekends at home.

So on Sunday, I took full of advantage of my free schedule. I cooked -- slowly, simply, happily.

Fried Green Tomatoes
2 medium green tomatoes
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Slice the tomatoes into about 1/2-inch rounds. Set up a small station with the beaten egg in a bowl and the dry bread crumbs on a plate. Dip each slice in the egg to coat, then dredge both sides in the bread crumbs until completely covered. Add more bread crumbs as needed.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. (I kind of guessed on the above measurement -- be sure there is more than just a light coating and enough to really get those tomatoes good and fried.) When the oil is hot (drop some bread crumbs in to test -- if they sizzle, the oil is probably ready), place the coated tomato slices in the pan and fry each side until golden brown. Set on a paper towel to drain.

Comments

  1. Best kind of cooking. PS those fried green tomatoes look amazing! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just posted the recipe for you -- I always forget to add those! Keep in mind, I'm bad with exact measurements, so those are very loose estimates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it spectacular that we find calm through cooking at home? I’m craving a weekend such as this. Those green tomatoes are fantastically vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I love staying at home sundays : P
    I'll try your green tomatos recipe, they look very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jen - it's true, cooking at home on a lazy weekend is just good for the soul. :)

    190.arch - sundays at home are the best. i need more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came back to see your response and saw the recipe posted, which made me think it had been there all along and I'd been a total idiot to miss it - thank goodness I'm not losing my mind (well, at least not because of this). Can't wait to try these! YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm :o) I have never had fried green tomatoes before, but they look like such a treat. I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment